Wednesday, June 18, 2008

who, me? a BABY registry?

Let's just say that going to Target to register for Ahna's goodies was truly, a wake-up call. As in, "HELLO - a baby is coming into your life and she has to have stuff." I have known this. I have waited for the moment to occur when we would finally know a few details: what size she might wear, how much she weighs so that we can determine type of carseat, stroller, etc. etc. I have talked, dreamed, planned; I mean, we've had pretty close to 3 years for this idea of a BABY coming to sink in. But, once the reality struck, it took a bit of time for it to settle. All of a sudden, I had no idea how to begin the process of preparing for her arrival.

Friends told me that I would have a baby shower, but in some sort of weird denial, I would think, "Nah - not me." No one will give me a baby shower. It was almost as if I thought baby equipment and gadgetry would just fall from the sky. Just a tiny bit of me was probably trying to keep the heart guarded, just in case...... Plus, our boys are 17, 14, and 10. My goodness, it's not like I even know HOW to shop for a baby anymore! Maybe for someone else's baby. But mine? You mean, we're having a baby? Really?

So, 10-year old Eli and I go to Target, waltz up to the Customer Service desk, and get instructions on how to make this Baby Registry thing happen. Eli is SO excited, because we get to carry a GUN-thingy to scan each item that we choose for our registry. Only to Eli, it's a deadly rifle that he proceeds to aim and pretend-shoot at all kinds of things.

For over 2 hours we walk up and down those baby aisles, Eli armed and ready to scan everything we see. Me? I am in a stupor-like condition, as if lost in a vast wilderness. I can't even decide between Pampers or Huggies or Luvs before consulting with my dear friend who has an 8-month old! The choices surrounding me were nothing short of paralyzing! We did end up scanning around 20 items, much to Eli's chagrin, since he was fully prepared to scan one of everything in the store. And, we did go back the next day to complete the registry. Kind-of. With dear friend and her 8-month old in tow to offer counsel. :-)

What in the world would I have done if we'd gone to Baby's R Us?!

5 comments:

Lisa Spence said...

How much fun! and all that girl-y stuff! Wish SO VERY BADLY I could be there to celebrate Ahna with a party/shower!

Anonymous said...

laughed as I read your post~ I was there and I remember all so well. I did go to Babies R US, with a pro-mommy-friend. We walked around forever and I was amazed and overwhelmed. You managed to get 20 items more on your list than I did!!!

When it came time for my showers and friends asked me what I needed, I kindly asked that they purchase the items that they used and loved most when raising their children. It was wonderful and the gifts were so awesome!!!

Have a blessed week,

krista

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

How very exciting...yes, baby gear can be a little overwhelming and it has all changed so much over the years!

This is my first time visiting you blog...I found you through China Adoption Stories!

You have a beautiful family....I will check back soon!

Lisa

Kristin said...

I remember going with my boys, then ages 6 & 7 to register for Eva... I stood there, with referral information burned into my brain, wandered around some, was amazed at how much everything had improved in a just a few years, felt overwhelmed and walked out!

Unknown said...

Laughing as I read the post. :) I was encouraged to do this for our Emma who was already 24 mos. That was a strange experience for me!! I hope you did have fun and picked out some fun stuff for Anha!!! Can't wait to see all the baby stuff that you have waited so long to indulge your little girl with!!