Saturday, July 5, 2008

there's a tutu hanging in my closet.......



.....and it doesn’t belong to me. It hangs just inside the door on the left side, on the top hanging rack. It greets me with its multiple layers of glittery pale pink tulle, all fluffiness and frou-frou. Most days I stop and just gaze at it, imagining the sweet girl that will someday fill it. I finger the fabric, as if straightening the wrinkles and smoothing the layers will somehow make her appear more real.

In my mind she is rushing through the house giggling, jet black hair flowing, our dog Boo at her feet. Or maybe she is playing hide-and-seek with Eli, or running to find Jacob and give him a hug. She might be rushing on her way because she heard her biggest brother strum, and she wants to go watch his fingers delicately work the strings of his guitar. Of course, she might have heard the garage door opening…. and she well knows who’ll be coming through that door, and has sped away from whatever she was doing, to run into Daddy’s arms.

So the tutu hangs there, and reminds me that she is coming. Soon.

And I cannot wait.

(written February 22, 2008)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, these words touched my heart in such an amazing way. It took me back to the days when I was waiting to go and get Bella, I would walk in her room and open her closet door and dream about the little girl that would one day soon be wearing the clothes that I loving picked put for her.

Thank you for the precious memory~

Krista @Bits and Pieces

Molly D said...

Hi, Cindi:
Just wanted you to know that I'm checking your blog every day and enjoying it so much. You truly have a gift with words. I want to get you a gift and maybe get together to give it to you one of these days, but it may end up being after Ahna is home! Morning sickness has hit me pretty hard and I'm lucky to get off the couch some days...ugh. Maybe once you're home and settled I'll be feeling more human again and Betsy and Ahna can have a playdate! :) We would love that!
Take care and know you're in our prayers and we're so happy for you!
Molly

Melissa said...

Can't wait for you to bring that girl HOME!

Norma said...

when that tutu is old and frayed after so many wearings it will break your heart to pass it on.....but then you will look at your big girls sweet face and smile at the memory. what an incredible adventure you are about to embark upon.

brianmease said...

oh Cindi,

It's been way too long since I've read your blog...Thanks for your beautiful words. I can't wait to see Grace & Ahna prancing around in their tutu's together...

Elizabeth Bergeron said...

Love the pretty little tutu hanging there!! I'm glad Emma didn't find that one!! LOL!! I love that Emma is wearing the tutu that belonged to her big sister who is a mere 29!! That would make the tutu to be about 23 years old and it's still got years of wear ahead!! Can't wait for all the tutut girls to hang out!!

Rhonda said...

Can't wait to be one of the first to lay eyes on your little tu tu too!!!!!! Sweet post. Can you believe it? After 3 boys?!?! You and I can relate, my friend! The wait is almost over! ~Rhonda

Lisa Spence said...

A tutu? What fun!

Alyson and Ford said...

Oh no! We don't have one!! So nice, so fun... loved this post.

Alyson LID 01/27/06