Monday, February 22, 2010

wooden blocks and monopoly games



I came up to my bedroom a while ago. Scattered on our bed: many wooden blocks and beads, along with the Very Hungry Caterpillar card game. A reminder that early this morning, Ahna wanted to play with Mama, rather than go back to sleep. So we drank our milk and coffee and talked about our nighttime dreams. She dreamt "About Eli (E-i)", as she declares any time she is asked about what happens in her sleep-thoughts. And she remarked that he was playing the piano. That part of her sleep memory was different this time. He is usually "doing nuffin."

Left untouched at my bedside: the Bible study I had meant to work on, the Yancey book on prayer that I am reading.

Fast forward to our evening. Eli (12) has had some privileges removed for the night. We end up playing a game of Monopoly, or at least we play MOST of the game. We will have to finish in the morning. (does that game ever end??) I think it turns out to be more enjoyable to him than watching T.V. or playing video games might've been. Or maybe I just hope that is the case. We listen to music, we listen to Ahna play and talk and talk some more in her crib before finally going to sleep. (Jacob: in bed already. Bill & Seth: in Sarasota for that college visit)

Left untouched all over the house: various piles that I had meant to tend to; clothes that didn't get put away; school planning that was intended for the evening...... more housework than I care to mention. 
(How DO you all keep up?)

Tonight, though, I am mindful and thankful for all the things left UNDONE today. Because most usually, I am not OK with all that I think I don't accomplish. My tendency is to be frustrated and aggravated and exhausted by even the thought of all that I need to be doing but don't do. And in the process I begin to feel UNDONE. I begin to wonder why I am the only girl in the world who can't handle or keep up with her "stuff."  I too easily forget that every simple and fun moment that I can can grab with one of my children, is oh-so fleeting.  

So it's a good place to be right now, sitting here writing. Knowing that the time spent talking quietly with Ahna about dreams in the dimness of early morning; laughing with Eli over a Monopoly game this evening: these were TRULY the things that mattered today.

The rest of it? Well, it will all be here tomorrow, won't it?





4 comments:

The Writer Chic said...

=) Yea for quiet "unproductive" days.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Cindi for writing when you can. You touch a place in my heart. The grace with which you write reminds me that I am a recipient of a vast, great grace - that ever gives me the benefit of His mercy. I appreciate you!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Yes, my new saying.... Oh, well, there is always tomorrow??

Enjoy the moment and the time with your little ones. We all know that they grow up way too fast.

xo,

Lisa

Joseph Paul said...

Nicely presented information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff.
Wooden games