Wednesday, August 20, 2008

school. and life.

School started today. It came crashing in, seemingly out of nowhere. I knew that today was the day, but I don't guess that it had quite sunk in (even after attending the 5th grade orientation 2 nights ago - and how did 5th grade even HAPPEN??). But today came. And we were up bright and early to begin another year of academia and all that it entails.

School supplies had been gathered, lunch accounts paid, quick breakfasts devoured. The messy trail left behind in the wake of the morning's rush only added to the ever-growing messiness and clutter of a home being taken by.... what? Life, I guess. My constant movement seems to produce little or no result whe
n it comes to the keeping of the house, these days.

The photo on the left is the real deal. It was actually taken a few days ago, just before our weekend company arrived. That particular clutter has since been (kind of) cleared, due to the gracious deed of one of our sons. I was thinking at the time, that there is a certain "comfortableness" in being able to leave such a messy area, even when company is due. I have accepted that I will never be the world's greatest housekeeper, the universe's most organized inhabitant. And I am OK with that. Most days. Do I want and need and strive for a certain measure of organization in my life, especially in the area of keeping my home? ABSOLUTELY!!

But this post was not about my housekeeping skills. It was about school. The school day came and went: there was discussion over dinner about classes and teachers and lunchrooms and recess. Dishes were done, laundry was a work in progress as always, sweet Ahna played with and laughed at. School forms were brought to me by the piles and I read and signed and read and signed.

The boys argued, the parents argued with the boys, voices were raised. At one point in the evening I thought of a seashell getting constantly battered by waves, its tough exterior being slowly worn away. I felt like that seashell.

Why do I tell you this? Because it is what is real. In the midst of astonishing blessing, life moves on at a pace that is often difficult to keep up with. Great gifts from the Father. Great responsibility. Forgive me if I speak in riddles. I guess I just needed a bit of a ramble.

But - my life was meant to honor the God who gives wisdom and counsel and all that is needed. And seek to honor Him, I will: even in the daily stuff of life, the seemingly trivial, and the challenges of the mundane. He is sufficient in the big and the small.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how true & real it is!!! That's why I love your posts, you speak the truth sister. I am glad you share ALL!!! There are more important things than a clean house right now, you need to enjoy the gift you have been given. Hope to see you guys soon :-)
Christy

Lisa Spence said...

School seemed to come out of nowhere for us as well--I feel sort of like I've been thrown in the deep end but I forgot how to swim! Wise words here, my friend...as usual...

Christy said...

AMEN!!!! Wow, I could have been reading about our family!! My boys start school on Monday and I am trying to get prepared but I always feel so unprepared that first night when they plop piles of paperwork in front of me. Whatever the case-- it is real and it is life-- the arguing is totally real in my house-- uggg!!! I have a starting 5th grader too-- where did the years go??? CRAZY!!!

Christy :)

2 China 4 Addison said...

I loved your post! And it sounds like my house, 5th grader and all! I actually love the things that make up your clutter - the sippy cup, the referral picture of Ahna in the background, the Chinese hackysack (?)........that is definitely your life right now. It all goes so fast (as you know), so enjoy, and know that it will get picked up sometime! :) Oh yeah, and now enjoy some quieter days with your baby girl, too!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

You said it perfectly!

Our craziness is just about to start....one more week...and we have a 5th grader too....scary, isn't it? They are growing much too fast!

Enjoy the special moments amongst the chaos!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what your talking about. Things just seem to pile up so quickly, but it will be waiting on me until I get to it. I can't wait to see Ahna. Mom and dad said she had changed so much. Tell the boys we said hey. Hope to see you soon.

Angie

Les said...

Boy how I can relate!! Even though I didn't send anyone off to school today (no one is old enough) I kind of secretly wished I could. The house was a mess, laundry is piled up and this tends to stress me out. By the time Rusty came home, I wasn't the patient Mom that I want to be. Isaiah 58 was refreshing for me...if I break the yokes of wickedness and release those in captivity, if I spend myself on behalf of the hungry, homeless poor... the Lord will strengthen my frame. I will be like a well watered garden, called repairer of broken walls. Joshua is requiring a lot of my time energy and attention right now. It wasn't long ago that he was the hungry, homeless poor under the yoke. He's no longer an orphan, but he has broken walls that need to be repaired!! Praise the Lord that he has promised to strengthen my frame and make this dirt clod of a Mom a well watered garden!

Tony and Rett said...

Thank you for the comment on our blog.

I have read through some of your posts, and you write beautifully! You seem to have one amazing family too!

I'm just getting back into the swing of things (teaching) and boy, do I miss my girls!

Congrats on the newest member of your family. She's adorable!

Anonymous said...

Isn't this time of year just wonderful UGH!! I'm right there with ya. It seems my house never gets taken care of and the arguing just gets worse with age. Dru just started 6th grade and oh dear how trying this has been. But we shall prevail!! I love reading this please keep up the good work.

Christel

Anonymous said...

Hey Cindi,

That is my life!!!! The paperwork is neverending and the homework and the diaper changes and feedings of a baby and 4 hungry kids!!!! Wow, how my life has changed also! God sends grace to help me through! It seems as if I am closer to him than I have ever been. There are so many quiet moments that I have to spend with his word. Our little angel was sent for us to love and care for as long as he needs us to. We are blessed. We cannot wait to see your family. We miss you. Rick has been wanting to come but we are trying to be patient and let Ahna rest before the Harpers invade!!!!
We love you all,
Becki

The Writer Chic said...

We would be friends! Any woman whose kitchen counter boasts Easy Cheese, Tums, and (I think I saw) Peanut M&Ms is an A+ in my book.

With Seth being our only one (right now) and at just 8 months, I know I have a ways to go before I'm juggling as much as you are, but you're a good example, Cindi.

I know what you display, as being a wife and mom who creates a loving home, is only by God's grace, and yet, you really do present a picture of grace under fire. Thanks for your raw honesty in your posts.

Arielle said...

It is in the mundane things of life that our hearts are tremendously tested. I fear the mundane so much more than the huge tests. Big trials seem like they have a purpose and someday, hopefully an end.

But the mundane things of life?

They can seem to go on and on forever with no purpose, no meaning, no beauty, and no clarity.

I yearn to learn how to live simply and beautifully in the mundane. May the Savior shine in the mundane things of my life!