Tuesday, August 5, 2008

morning

Awake before 5:00 a.m., I decide to go ahead and get started with the day. Envisioning my cup of coffee and Bible in the stillness of the living room, I quietly walk down the stairs. I make a pot of coffee and prepare Ahna's bottle for her next feeding. Bill has left a note saying she was fed at 12:15 a.m.; he wasn't feeling well yesterday, so was awake when she was, and left me sleeping.

Cup of coffee in hand, I head to my spot on the couch, turn on the lamp, and sit. Within seconds I hear her rustling about in her crib. Gladly, I set the coffee aside and get upstairs to her room, before the monitor wakes Bill. Thumb in mouth, towel pulled up to her face, she rolls over and sees me. Gives me a slow but steady grin. My heart leaps that she is happy to see me. She reaches up with one arm, and I pick her up. Together, we go back to the living room, to my spot on the couch that I am happy to share.

She drinks hungrily from her bottle. Still, she won't allow us to put solid food of any type in her mouth. I put the new Hillsong United CD in, pick her up, and we sway to the music. Inspiring and beautiful words of praise come from the CD player, and my heart is renewed. I rejoice this morning again, at this little gift, swaying back and forth in my arms. Music, she has heard before. I'll never know if someone sang to her, or if she heard music from the T.V. that was in her orphanage room. But she knows music. We go near the stereo speaker so that she can touch it and feel it vibrate. She still wants to touch, scratch, rub everything.

We move to the floor and play silly mocking games and scratch favorite board books, She pulls up to stand proudly at the couch. Trusting enough to stand without hands, but not strong enough to keep herself up, she leans back against me, head turned to look at me, grinning. A sweet baby girl. Her eyes are beginning to see that we are constant. We tell her all the time, "See, we're still here.... we're not going anywhere..."

And we are thankful that she is showing more and more, that she believes us.

It is a good morning.






14 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet, I am certain every day she will feel safer. I'm glad she is adjusting so well. Standing over her crib, looking at her, I can only imagine the overwhelming feelings you have for this special gift you have been given. I know as her aunt that it is undescribable what it was like to see her for the first time. It was a struggle to keep my distance from her. When you see her, "of course" first instinct was to hold her, she is georgeous, and just so special, a true gift. I know it will just be a matter of time that she will let us in too. God has chose for her the right family to make her feel safe and loved. You have so much to offer Ahna, you are blessed, but then so is she. Hope to see you soon!!

Love,
Christy

Anonymous said...

So happy that you made it safely to home. It's always a pleasure to read from you ! I'm sure that Anha will adjust well and bond with your family. Lilly loves music and is a great dancer :-) They were listening to music in the Jianxin.

2 China 4 Addison said...

congratulations on your daughter from another Jianxin mama! Ahna is just beautiful, and is going to thrive in her new lovely family.
Thank you so much for your pictures of your trip to the orphanage,something we did not get to do. I was back in Jiangxi in June to work in a orphanage in Heng Feng (straight east of Nanchang), but wasn't able to go to Jianxin. I hope you will post updates,I will check in to see pics! :)
Blessings to your family
Becki

Lisa Spence said...

Beautiful words, beautiful daughter, beautiful blessing...

Anonymous said...

What a morning~ It is wonderful as these precious little ones come to know love, trust, joy for the first time!

Bless you and your entire family~

Hugs,

Krista

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

What a beautiful picture of the two of you!

She sounds like she is adapting very well....

You definitly have the gift of writing....what an incredible description of morning!

Lisa

Arielle said...

What a blessed beginning to the day. If that isn't just the picture of Jesus' love on earth?!
God continue to keep you all!

Anonymous said...

I hope to meet Ahna and the family soon! We think we may get to leave on Aug 27! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts!

April Isaacs
http://milesandmilestomylei.blogspot.com

LisaBB said...

...and many more to come.

Sarah Markley said...

This is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for letting us share it with you.

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

What a beautiful morning with your precious baby girl! She is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your blog with me. I can't wait to read more about your journey!

Rhonda said...

Ni hao, Ahna!

It's Macy Li here! I'm glad you are finally home, too, and it sounds like you're doing pretty well. These people who came to get us in Nanchang are pretty cool, don't you think? Do you like your house and new crib as much as I do mine? Last night, I fell off my little pink car and bumped my forehead and Mommy about died...but I'm okay. I'm having fun going all over our town meeting everybody. I'm still not crawling, but I do sorta crawl/scoot backwards! I'm trying, though, really hard. I do like food--you should try it. You can do it! Beats congee any day! Well, I have to go, but I'll be checkin' in on you!

Love,
Li Ming

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis,

You have a gift of words that is so beautiful. Ahna is such a blessed little soul. Granny would be so honored that you gave her name to such a special little girl. Your story has touched so many people in Oneida. Alot of our church family has kept up with your journey. They can't wait to see her visit New Haven!
We miss you all and can't wait till you come and visit. Thanks for letting us be part of your journey. We love you,
The Harper Clan

Elizabeth Bergeron said...

A little bit late, but I didn't expect you to be blogging!!! :)

Love this morning story. She is so cute.