Wednesday, October 29, 2008

what we're doing





Since I can't seem to break away and hide long enough to compose a thought-provoking or encouraging or eloquently-written post, I decided to just write about right now.

Right now, Eli (5th grade) and Bill are poring over a logic problem for one of Eli's classes. Eli started working on said problem... oh, 2 hours ago... and has had many frustrating moments along the way. His dad finally arrived home from a long day at work, around 8:15 p.m., to "rescue" him and help him figure it out. That was half an hour ago. Some logic problem.

Jacob (9th grade) is hidden away in his bedroom doing homework. He and I just spent quite a while (way too long, actually) trying to find colored pencils for something he was working on. The colored pencils were supposed to be in a certain place, but magically had disappeared from there. While searching high and low and everywhere in between for this rainbow of color, I ranted - I mean, I gently spoke of - the fact that once these pencils were found, that I was going to collect and organize them, along with other important school supplies. Once I have done this, if a student in this household needs a certain item, I will have it locked away and ready to be "checked out," then returned directly to me. Sounds like a plan; but, will I actually follow through with it? I guess time will tell.

Seth (11th grade) has yet to return home from a small group Bible study that he's part of on this night. He had been home from school less than half an hour, earlier today, when he proclaimed that HE would go pick up Eli from school. I believe his exact words were, "I've gotta get outta here. I have cabin fever." Cabin fever! After just getting home! Teenagers.
And, I know that "outta" is not a word.

From the other room, I just heard Bill explain: "I GOT it!" The logic problem, that is. Hmmm, I think that was supposed to be Eli "getting" it, but I'm sure Dad will walk him through it...

As I sat down here at the kitchen table to type this, I had just started picking up all of Ahna's toys. Yes, they are scattered everywhere. As are all the plastic plates and bowls and lids from "her" cabinet in the kitchen. She is tucked away in her crib, sound asleep for the night.

Ahna is a soothing balm to her Daddy's tired soul, and he was disappointed that he wouldn't get to love on her tonight. I didn't think he'd be home 'til much later, or I would've kept her up a bit later.

And so back to this moment, where I hear much laughter from upstairs, where the Dad and two of his boys have gone. Probably a bit of "boy humor" going on up there, that I wouldn't think as funny in the least. I must go remind them that Sister is asleep.

Good night to you all.






16 comments:

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I think I am going to steal your idea about the household and school supplies.....we are always looking for tape, glue, and markers!!

Sounds like a day in the life of a busy household!!

Hope all is well.....love the sweet picture!

Karen said...

Love the picture! Busy and blessed household! Sometimes,(ok- many times) in the middle of the chaos and busy-ness of daily life, I have to step back and remind myself of the blessings that are behind by "the stuff" that at the moment seem so important...

The Writer Chic said...

Sometimes, the "right now normal" posts are the best.

Noemi said...

Glad to hear that you are all doing well =).

Traci said...

Seriously, your writing is so well done that even the "everyday" posts sound amazing. Love the recap.

And as stated before, really love the photo.

Anonymous said...

Some things never change, busy busy busy. You could organize school supplies, but then it would just be something else. We will ALWAYS have something to fuss about. I love the pic, tell Eli he looks handsome.
Talk soon,
Chris

April Isaacs said...

Hi Cindi!!

I miss your posts! I know how it is! I tie my kids up so I can write a posts:-)

I tagged you! See my blog for details!

April

brianmease said...

you are always eloquent & encouraging Cindi. :0)

we love the simmons...

Ruth and Brian said...

Wow Cindi,
Doesn't sound all that different from my house - other than mine are at home during the day (home-schooled) and thus the homework situation at night is pretty much resolved.

Ahna is so adorable and her brothers look like they are enjoying her to the fullest! Ahhh, life with a bunch of men and a baby girl. Priceless.

Ruth

Arielle said...

Well, I don't know what I could possibly add to the other posts! So I'll just say, "hello," and want you to know that fond thoughts come your way!.

Elizabeth Bergeron said...

Glad to know all is well. :) Ahna is so cute with her brothers. Would love to plan a get together with you and April sometime. :)

Lisa Spence said...

I love this post and the glimpse into "what you're doing"...though I'm glimpsing a few days late...

Ruth and Brian said...

Cindi,
Send me an email at ruth@thinkfluidly.com so I can add you to the blog list. I guess I thought I had already done that and just read your comment on our travel site. Sorry!

Ruth
(Journey to Abigail)

Rhonda said...

Hey Cindi, Ahna, and boys! I just caught up on your blog and your family-goings-on......I'm way behind on all that since I was sick for so long. I hope to be back into the blogging world a bit more in the coming weeks. Anyway, Ahna Banana looks so cute! Wow, standing! That's great. ML only stands when holding onto something, which is pretty much all the time. But, she is NOT going to venture away from what she's holding on to! Isn't life so fun with these little cherubs? We can't imagine life without her now.Well, hug everyone for us and we'll catch up again soon....

~Rhonda and Macy Li

2 China 4 Addison said...

Such a precious picture.
It's a busy, but a blessed life!

Kim said...

Bill and Cindi,
I'm Kim and worked with Bill years ago at Cedar Springs. I'm married now and have 9 and 1/2 mo old triplets! Crazy stuff how are families are changing. Your family is just beautiful - boys and girl! We have a blog in case you are interested:
http://louispartyof5.blogspot.com
I love your blog! Hope you all are well.