Monday, March 15, 2010

school at home






I homeschool our 6th grader.  
Most days we are uber-organized and have hours and hours of uninterruped class-time.
Just kidding.
We do have 2-yr. old sister to "teach," as well.  What brother is doing, she also must do, in some form or fashion.  During school, toys mean very little, her play kitchen stands alone, and she can hardly pull herself away from the "classroom" for a moment.

Having those structured hours is very important, though.  We function much more effectively when our days are orderly and when an hourly schedule is maintained.

However, many of our school days feel chaotic and anything BUT orderly.  
Then, especially, my inadequacies shine like headlights at night that come speeding toward you. 
The headlights on "bright" that the driver forgot to dim. 

Algebraic expressions.  Chemical compounds.  Latin vocabulary words.  I want them all to go away, be someone else's responsibility to teach.  
I become easily convinced that I am "messin' up my son." 
The two of us butt heads, become exasperated with one another.  While trying to encourage him to control his attitude, I find that I am in stark need of an adjustment in my own demeanor.  A broken-down car in need of a tow-truck-trip to the mechanic.

I've been stretched way out of my comfort zone.  
But if I was not, I would not learn how to be pliable.

I've come face-to-face with areas in my own life that need to be dealt with.  
But if I was not, I would not learn how to turn and face the Father.

I've been on an uncommon and often unpopular journey.  
But if I was not, I would have a lesser awareness of what it means to follow God's path.

I homeschool Eli.  And he teaches me.


2 Peter 1:3  "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness."









1 comment:

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I give you so much credit......

I don't know that I would have the patience to teach my own children. I know that sounds pretty harsh, but we struggle just to get through homework assignments on a nightly basis.

I never realized that you homeschooled Eli....

It is funny how even at our age, we are learing from our children.

Keep the faith my friend.....keep the faith!

xo,

Lisa